Amateur Photographer (AP) Magazine has launched their 2017 Amateur Photographer of the Year (APOY) competition, which is open to photographers around the world. Now in partnership with Photocrowd, 2017 marks the first time where you can have a say in who should win this coveted title.
There are 8 rounds, each round with a category, and with an Expert winner anointed for each round by the APOY judging panel and a Crowd winner by the Photocrowd community.
The title of Amateur Photographer of the Year will be determined by combining results across all eight rounds.
- You do not have to enter every round to be eligible to win APOY title, but the more you enter the better your chances.
- The Expert winner of each round will receive Sigma lens and products worth about £1000 (1247.80 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) and the Crowd winner will receive a year-long subscription to Amateur Photographer magazine (worth over £100) and a free year-long master-level subscription to Photocrowd (worth £120 / 124.78 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
- In addition, all contest winners (Expert and Crowd), plus selections from the expert category in each contest, will be featured in an issue of AP, as well as the AP website and social media channels.
- The Grand Prize winner of the entire APOY 2017 series will win over £2000 (2494.35 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) of Sigma gear: the SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art (£1199.99 / 1496.60 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) + the SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art (£799.99 / 997.78 US Dollar at the current exchange rate) + the SIGMA USB Dock (£39.99 / 49.88 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
- Total Grand Prize value: £2,039.97 (2544.20 US Dollar at the current exchange rate).
- Of course, you must be an amateur photographer, i.e. your “primary income is not from photography or photographic services.”
- Also, though the competition is open to all amateur photographers around the world, note that, if you are a winner and live outside the UK, expect to be liable for any local import taxes.
- You must register and join Photocrowd (for free) to be able to submit your entry.
- You can enter one photograph for FREE to each round, and you can purchase up to three additional entries to each round.
- Each additional entry costs £8, and series bundles are available at discounts (3 entries for £21, 6 entries for £36, 12 entries for £54, 24 entries for £72).
The 8 categories are:
- MARCH – “Magical Monochrome” – Black & white photography
Closes: 29 April 2017
- APRIL – “Hit the streets” – Street photography
Opens: 28 April 2017
Closes: 27 May 2017
- MAY – “Small wonders” – Macro nature
Opens: 26 May 2017
Closes: 24 June 2017
- JUNE – “City Clickers” – Cityscapes
Opens: 23 June 2017
Closes: 29 July 2017
- JULY – “Into the wild” – Wildlife
Opens: 28 July 2017
Closes: 26 August 2017
- AUGUST – “Creative eye” – Abstract Art
Opens: 25 August 2017
Closes: 30 September 2017
- SEPTEMBER – “Land lovers” – Landscapes
Opens: 29 September 2017
Closes: 28 October 2017
- OCTOBER – “Face to face” – Portraiture
Opens: 27 October 2017
Closes: 30 November 2017
For more info, please visit https://www.photocrowd.com/support/.