Call for Submissions
The Hanson Award is administered by The Canadian Journalism Foundation and offers a six-week paid internship at The Canadian Press head office in Toronto for a photojournalist in the early stages of his or her career. The annual internship is designed to give a photographer trying to break into the business the chance to perform on the national stage.
The Hanson Award is open to any Canadian photojournalist who has been in the business less than five years — from students to freelancers to photographers working at regional publications.
- Applicants will be accepted from Canadian photojournalists with less than five years experience. This can include students, freelance photographers or photographers currently employed at regional or non-daily publications.
- While still photography is main focus of this internship, the successful applicant will also be given some video assignments during the six-week program.
- The successful applicant must be willing to work at the head office of The Canadian Press in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, during the internship. The Hanson Award does not offer living or travel allowances, but a weekly salary of approximately $875 will be paid.
- The internship will take place between April and September at a time that is agreeable to both the successful applicant and The Canadian Press. The winner will also be invited to attend and be recognized at the annual Canadian Journalism Foundation Awards in June.
- Successful applicants must have their own basic camera gear. Long lenses and video cameras will be supplied by The Canadian Press when necessary.
- The Canadian Press will retain copyright of any images gathered during the internship. However, the successful applicant will be able to use their images for portfolio and other personal uses. The Canadian Journalism Foundation can also use the images for promotional purposes related to the Tom Hanson Award.
- Successful applicants will write a summary of their experience and prepare a photo/multimedia gallery of their best work upon completion of their internship, to be used by the Canadian Journalism Foundation and The Canadian Press to further promote the Tom Hanson Photojournalism Award.
The winner of the 2016 Tom Hanson Photojournalism Award will be announced in February.
- The award will be formally presented at the annual Canadian Journalism Foundation Awards on June 15, 2016 at The Fairmont Royal York in Toronto.
For info on how to apply for this award, please visit http://www.cjf-fjc.ca/awards/tom-hanson-criteria
For more info and to submit your entry, please visit: bit.ly/1tonElU .
For further info:
- Wendy Kan, Program Manager, The Canadian Journalism Foundation, email@example.com or 416-955-0975;
- Graeme Roy, Director of News Photography, The Canadian Press, firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-507-2167.
The Tom Hanson Photojournalism Award is generously supported by: